Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Ethiopia, 1998–2026: From One War to Another, with a Nobel Prize in Between

I was in Addis Ababa for a while a few months ago. Ate well, breathed some wonderfully fresh air at nearly 2,400 metres, and went up towards the 3,000-metre heights of Entoto.

But I couldn’t find one thing: my old favourite, Meta beer, the taste of Ethiopia I remembered from the 20th century.


 A 50-minute film I made in Ethiopia in 1998, during my first reporting journey through Abyssinia.



 



A lot has been happening there lately, so I have my sights set on Addis Ababa and the surrounding area. I think people in the capital are still eating injera peacefully and going about their lives, just as they did during the war with Eritrea in 1998. 

Perhaps the conflict will stop at the country’s outskirts; perhaps it will cut the umbilical cord connecting Ethiopia to its port in Djibouti. A lot is happening, and I don’t have a crystal ball. We’re watching.


No comments:

Post a Comment