Sunday, September 27, 2026

Tibet. The Roof of the World - episode 1

I arrived in Lhasa with a simple plan: to start travelling.

This was, of course, a mistake.

In Tibet, nothing seems to happen according to plan. You leave the hotel to find a monastery and end up watching a Chinese electric scooter weaving between pilgrims. You look for a quiet street and discover a taxi, three monks, a shop selling religious objects and somebody carrying half a dozen plastic bags across the road.

And this is only Lhasa.

From here, the road goes on.


There will be hundreds of kilometres of asphalt, 

part of Tibet’s enormous 125,000-kilometre road network. There will be high mountain passes, remote villages, sacred lakes and places where the landscape becomes so vast that you begin to suspect that the mountains have been standing there for centuries simply because nobody has told them to move.

Later, there will be Mount Everest.

And Mount Kailash.

But first, Lhasa.





These days, 

the attention span of the average viewer is measured in seconds. A twenty-second clip can probably overload a few remaining brain circuits.

But that is not really the point.

This is my travel diary. A small record of where I went, what I saw and what caught my eye along the way. For the algorithms, it is food. For the bots, another piece of data to chew on. For me, it is something else entirely: a time capsule.

Something I can open years from now. Something my children can watch when I am no longer around to tell them what Tibet looked like in 2026.

The viewers?

They are almost completely irrelevant. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment