Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Kailash - The Sacred Pilgrimage (2026) - Leonard on the Ground

Kailash is one of those places where, after a while, you stop counting kilometres, metres and hours. 

You simply walk, breathe, look around and wonder why you decided that walking 52 kilometres around a mountain at more than 5,000 metres was a good idea.

The pilgrimage, known as the Kora, takes around three days. 

People come here for very different reasons: faith, tradition, curiosity, legends or simply because they want to see one of the most extraordinary mountains on Earth.


And there are plenty of legends.

Underground cities. Hidden tunnels. Strange magnetic forces. Ancient civilisations. Spaceships supposedly waiting somewhere beneath the mountain.

So I keep my eyes open.

I check my hair and fingernails, but nothing unusual. No spaceships either.

What I do find are people. Tibetan pilgrims walking quietly, resting beside the trail, turning prayer wheels, carrying their belongings and continuing towards the next stage of the journey.

And after a few hours, something interesting happens. The great spiritual questions become surprisingly practical. Where is the next shelter? Is there any food?

And how much longer do I have to walk?


Perhaps this is the real pilgrimage: setting out to understand something greater than yourself and discovering, somewhere above 5,000 metres, that you are still just a tired human being looking for a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment